Sample 40 Hour Training Curriculum
Accessing the Curriculum
Partnership Members and California Office of Emergency Services grantees have access to our sample 40-hour training curriculum, which fulfills the State’s requirements for Domestic Violence Counselors. To gain access to this valuable resource, apply for membership today! You can learn more about the curriculum by reading our .
- PowerPoint presentations are designed to be fully customizable. Curricula users will be able to insert their agency logos, local resources and statistics as needed to reflect the realities of your organization and community. The presentations also include multimedia options (YouTube Videos, website links) that further explore training topics and elicit discussions. Internet access will be required to fully utilize these multimedia options.
- Trainers’ Manuals are designed to provide relevant slide-by-slide information that further explains the contents of the PowerPoint presentations. Trainers will see prompts which outline instructions for presenting materials, tips for handling particular audience issues that may come up, and website links for additional resources or sources of information presented. Trainer’s manuals are not customizable.
- Hand-outs are meant to be used in conjunction with the PowerPoint presentation to elicit additional discussion or to complement the training topic. They are designed for trainers to download and print for training participants. Some hand-outs are mentioned in the Trainer’s Manuals for discussion while others are meant for additional reading either before or after training sessions.
- Training activities are designed to enhance and compliment the learning experience for participants. Activities include instructions, lists of materials and follow-up question prompts for the trainers. Some activities are mentioned in the Trainer’s Manuals and PowerPoints while others are not. Trainers may choose which activities will be most appropriate for the training group and time constraints.
 Domestic Violence Counselors: This curricula is intended to be a tool to assist domestic violence victim service organizations / domestic violence shelter service providers operating in accordance with California Evidence Code Section §1037.1(b) and California Penal Code §13823.15-13823.16 (respectively), for the purpose of ensuring those working with victims meet the requirements of a Domestic Violence Counselor pursuant to Evidence Code §1037.1(a)(1).
If you work for a domestic violence organization, it’s likely that COVID-19 has created major roadblocks to offering the 40-Hour Curriculum. How can you continue to coordinate trainings with physical distancing protocols? Is it possible to navigate volunteers’ and staff members’ jam-packed work and childcare schedules?
Our Distance Learning Tool is a FREE online learning platform that can help save you time and resources—and it’s available to our Member DV designated organizations that can legally administer 40-hour trainings. Since the tool debuted last year, 64 organizations and 800 advocates have been enrolled.
Now that our Members are adapting to this public health crisis with increased virtual resources, we’ve added even more modules that supplement the State’s requirements for Domestic Violence Counselors. With the full 40-hour training now available online, organizations can decide how to utilize this tool most effectively.
Contact our team to get started. Your volunteers and colleagues will be able to access the Distance Learning platform any time—day or night—in a mobile-ready, user-friendly application complete with:
- Locally-specific questions
- An area to upload notes and activities
We know that your time is stretched to capacity right now, and that it’s difficult to find more time to research different platforms. You can feel confident knowing that our tool was developed by the Partnership’s Cibonay Jimenez—an advocate with over 20 years of experience in the field—who worked closely with domestic violence organizations throughout the state to ensure the tool’s usability.
As part of your free access to the distance learning platform, you’ll receive an orientation and one-on-one technical assistance to walk you through the modules.
Read about two Members’ experiences:
“Our Volunteers at our Non-Profit found this tool to be flexible, informative, and very supportive all around. It is an amazing training tool, especially because it is an at-you-own-pace type of training.”—Kimberly Rivera, BSW, Case Manager/Outreach – Central California Family Crisis Center
“Having access to this tool has enabled our agency to onboard employees more efficiently, and allowed us to provide greater accessibility for our volunteers to complete a large portion of the 40-Hour Domestic Abuse Advocate Training required to volunteer at our agency. The modules are straight forward and easy to understand. The modules can also be accessed for people to be completed according to their own schedule. We extremely pleased to have access to this invaluable tool!”—Paméla Tate-Roger, Volunteer Outreach Coordinator – The Riley Center / Services for Survivors of Domestic Violence
We look forward to hearing from you! Questions? Feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com.